Houthis continue obstructing delivery of relief
5/1/2019 11:19:00 PM
الصحوة نت - خاص
Alsahwa Net- The Iran-backed Houthis have refused all efforts to allow the flow of humanitarian assistance and relief to the Yemeni areas run by them, informed sources told Alsahwa Net.
Officials of the World Food Programme (WFP) and UNICEF are holding intensified meetings with Houthi leaders in Sana’a to persuade them to release seized food trucks seized in the governorate of Ibb.
The sources said that the Houthis want to impose taxes and customs fees on assistance and reserve 30% of them for the Houthis.
The Houthis have been seizing 189 assistance trucks in the eastern entry of Ibb governorate for four weeks.
Local sources told Alsahwa Net that the seized trucks carry assistance from several international relief organizations inlucding the World Food Programme.
The sources said the Houthis refuse the delivery of assistance because they put the condition of bringing the assistance though Hodeida Airport which is run by them.
Last week, the Houthis seized 20 relief trucks of the World Food Programme (WFA) in Ibb.
Minister of Local Administration Abdul-Raqeeb Fatah strongly condemned the seizure of trucks carrying medical assistances and relief to Ibb governorate.
Fatah considered the seizure as a crime, holding the Houthis responsible for the deteriorated humanitarian situations in the Houthi-run areas.
He further demanded UN officials to put pressures on the Houthis to release the humanitarian assistances and allow the delivery of them to vulnerable persons as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, the Houthis prevented Monday the delivery of humanitarian assistances to Durihaimi directorate in Hodeida governorate.
A government official Wadhah al-Dubaish said that the Houthis threatened relief organizations and residents of al-Duraihimi, and shot fire on them.